Dear Prospective Student:
The Department of Mathematics consists of about 80 faculty and staff members who welcome all students and strive to maintain close contact and cooperation with them. We offer a full range of undergraduate and graduate programs including pre-engineering, teaching certifications, and applied mathematics. Please see the description for these programs on this web site.
Our department provides an environment at the forefront of research that produces graduates highly qualified in Mathematics and Mathematics Education who will contribute to making Texas a leader in mathematics, science and technology. Offering a rich mathematical experience where students learn to think critically, communicate mathematical concepts effectively, and become lifetime learners, we maintain a nationally known community of faculty and students in the study of mathematics, mathematics education, discrete mathematics and related disciplines.
At the Department of Mathematics, our goal is to help you making the right decision on your college education. This is one of the most important decisions in your lifetime, because the education you are about to receive will influence almost every aspect of your life in the future. Take your time, research about several institutions, and then make your choice.
- Mathematics is the Foundation of Science: Almost every field of science is either built on mathematical models or use mathematics extensively as tools.
- Broader Career Opportunities with a Mathematics Background: Because of the nature of mathematics, the mathematics training has been focused more on the ability to think logically and skills to solve problems, which helps people in every field. Perhaps there are more scientists who started with mathematics than any other field.
- More Opportunities in Mathematics: In addition to the theory of pure mathematics, mathematicians and scientists have developed a full spectrum of applied and industrial mathematics. In recent years, there are more and more mathematical work and research opportunities in government, industry, and business.
- Quality of Education: Texas State University is known for its learner-centered environment, offering students the advantages of both a small college and a large multifaceted university, valuing research and creative activity, and emphasizing the central importance of teaching and learning. It matters when it comes to the quality of education!
- Location: We are at the edge of the Texas Hill Country, where blackland prairies turn in to beautiful hills, Texas State University enjoys a setting that is unique among Texas universities. The beauty of the crystal-clear San Marcos River and the stately cypress and pecan trees on the campus adds to the charm of its picturesque settings. The campus is in San Marcos, a community about halfway between Austin and San Antonio. Its location on the banks of the San Marcos River provides recreational and leisure activities for students throughout the year.