Day: Every Friday
Time: 12 - 1 pm
Location: Derrick Hall 122
This seminar focuses on statistics including topics related to teaching and learning of statistics at the undergraduate level. Presentations on new developments in statistics as well as innovative lessons and advances in statistics education research are welcome.
Graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to attend!
Sept 7: Group Discussion about Teaching Statistics: We welcome all instructors and students who are interested!
Sept 14: Alexander White, Texas State University, Grammar of Graphics
Sept 21: Alexander White, Texas State University, Thinking about how to teach Bayes Theorem
Sept 28: Robert Sigley, Alexander White & Layla Guyot, Texas State University, Studying the Relationship Between Students’ Perception of the Mean and Their Understanding of Variance
Oct5: Alexander White, Texas State University, Gapminder & Dollar Street
Oct 12: Kristin Harvey, University of Texas at Austin, Getting Everyone on the Same Page: How to Coordinate Multi-section Classes?
Oct 19: Adam Molnar, Oklahoma State University, Teaching Statistics – “Classroom Activities: Kisses, Polio, and One Card”
Oct 26: Raymond Wong, Texas A&M University, A new nonparametric test for checking the equality of the correlation structures of two time series
Nov 2: Math Department Open House
Nov 9: David Snyder, Texas State University, Data Analysis in Topology
Nov 16: Layla Guyot and Mike Abili, Texas State University, Teaching Statistics: A Comparison on Topics and Approaches Across Disciplines
Nov 30: Ryan Zamora, Texas State University, The kinematics of multicollinearity diagnostics
- Feb 2: Vera Ioudina & Alex White, Texas State University, Class Acticities for Elementary Statistics MATH 2328
- Feb 9: Vera Ioudina & Alex White, Texas State University, Class Acticities for Elementary Statistics MATH 2328 (continued)
- Feb 16: Seminar canceled
- Feb 23: Qiang Zhao, Texas State University, Class activities for Math 2328 - Elementary Statistics and 3305 - Introduction to Probability and Statistics.
- March 2: Alex White, Texas State University, Statistics in the Picture
- March 9: Layla Guyot, Texas State University, Statistical Practices: What are statisticians doing?
- March 30: Ryan Zamora Graduate Student Mathematics & Pradip Dhungana Graduate Student Physics, Texas State University, Exploring weight dependence with body dimensions through multiple linear regression analysis
- April 6: No seminar-Awards Ceremony
- April 20: Layla Guyot and Robert Sigley, Texas State University, Exploring the relationship between mean understanding and variability
- April 27: Layla Guyot, Amanda Walker & Alex White, Texas State University, Challenges for Independent Student Project: A Perspective for the Teacher