Math Education Seminar
Day: Every Friday
Time: 1:00 pm
Location: Derrick Hall 238
Faculty and students learn about and discuss issues related to the teaching and learning of mathematics and new findings in mathematics education research. Graduate students in the Mathematics Education programs are expected to attend whenever possible; students from other programs are always welcome.
- Jan 26: Jennifer Czocher, Texas State University, Why (other) mathematicians disagree with your definition of proof.
- Feb 2: Kate Melhuish, Texas State University, Discussion Session: Unpacking key terms in mathematics education research.
- Feb 9: Hamilton Hardison, Texas State University, Prospective secondary teachers' covariational reasoning in circle contexts: Distinguishing figurative from operative thought.
- Feb 16: Sindura Subanemy Kandasamy,Elizabeth Hewer, & Michael Q Abili, Texas State University, RUME Posters:
Students’ Attention to Conclusions During Proofs
What are the Functions of Proof in Introduction to Proof Textbooks?
How Diagrams are Leveraged in Introduction to Proof Textbooks
- Feb 23: **Seminar Cancelled** Alejandra Sorto, Texas State University, Developing PCK instruments to compare the effectiveness of "mostly in person" vs. "in distance" coach training models in Mexico.
- Mar 2: Sharon Strickland, Texas State University, Scaling Up Responding Research-or-How I'll Spend Next Year
- Mar 9: 3 MT Presentations, Graduate Students of Texas State University, Three Minute Thesis-The Trial Runs
- Mar 16: No Seminar - Spring Break
- Mar 23: Ingrid Sapire, University of the Witwatersrand, Language use in multilingual materials for Foundation Phase Mathematics in South Africa
- Mar 30: *location change Derr 339* Doug Ray, Texas State University, Desmos and GeoGebra in the Classroom Part II
- Apr 6: No Seminar - Awards Ceremony
- Apr 13: Kate Melhuish, Texas State University, Student Treatment of Function and Homomorphism in Abstract Algebra
- Apr 20: Samuel Obara, Texas State University, Role of Instruction on Spatial Skills on Middle School Students
- Apr 27: No seminar
- May 4: No Seminar - Finals
- Sep 1: Josh Fagan, Texas State University, Proof Validation at the Introduction to Proof Level: Framing and Designing a Multiple-Choice Assessment
- Sep 8: Jessica Bishop, Texas State University, Problem Types, Ways of Reasoning, and Flexibility: A Cross-Sectional Study of Students’ Integer Reasoning.
- Sep 15: Kristen Lew, Texas State University, Identifying the Linguistic Conventions of Undergraduate Proof Writing
- Sep 22: Christina Koehne, Texas State University, Math Camp for Elementary Preservice Teaching Noticing
Xiaowen Cui, Texas State University, Instructional coherence: A framework for comparing Chinese and American classrooms
- Sep 29: Kate Melhuish, Josh Fagan & Layla Guyot, Texas State University, Exploring the Efficacy of the Mathematics Studio Model Professional Development
- Oct 6: Doug Ray, Texas State University, Desmos and GeoGebra in the Classroom
- Oct 13: Robert Sigley, Texas State University, Teacher learning about mathematical reasoning: Differences between pre-service and in-service teachers
- Oct 20: Hwa Young Lee, Texas State University, Motivating coordination: Using one point to represent two points in the plane
- Oct 27: Zhaochen Song, Texas State University, Comparative Study of Middle School Math Teachers' PCK between the U.S. and China
Layla Guyot, Texas State University, Statistical Practices in Professional Settings
- Nov 3: Eva Thanheiser, Portland State University, Do Prospective Elementary Teachers (in the United States) Notice Cultural Aspects of Mathematics in a Teaching Scenario?
- Nov 10: Graduate Open House & Math Symposium
- Nov 17: Hiroko Warshauer, Texas State University, Two Research Studies Examining Teaching and Learning in a Math Camp Setting
- Nov 24: Thanksgiving, no seminar
- Dec 1: Paul Dawkins, Northern Illinois University, On the importance of set-based meanings for categories for student learning of mathematical logic
- Dec 8: Final Exams, no seminar