Welcome! The Texas State University Math Lab, sponsored by the Department of Mathematics, provides free drop-in math tutoring in a personalized atmosphere. Our goal is to provide students with academic support in a comfortable learning environment. Come in to receive individualized help, to form study groups and to build friendships. In addition to the tutoring service, we have computers available for individual mathematics work, general research and school use.
The computers are connected to our university network and are accessible to all students, faculty and staff. The available software applications include but are not limited to: Microsoft Office, Firefox, Mathematica, Fathom, SPSS, MatLab, Geometer's Sketchpad, and LaTeX.
Fall 2017 Hours:
Derrick 233 (computers and tutoring)
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Derrick 226 (tutoring)
Monday & Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
E-Mail: Lab Coordinator
Our student tutors have met departmental qualifications and earned a high recommendation from their college instructor(s), are enrolled at Texas State as a full time student and maintain high grades in their own classes. Some tutors are qualified to tutor additional science and engineering courses. Refer to the Tutor Schedule posted above the sign-in sheet as well as their tutoring profiles on the bulletin board in Derrick 233.
Tutors will assist you in your homework and understanding of the material but will not do your homework for you. You are responsible for being proactive in your learning.
General Lab Policies:
- Bring your own calculator to the lab. There are a few calculators that can be checked out from us and require you to leave your student ID. A hold will be placed on your account if you do not return the calculator in a timely fashion.
- Be considerate of others. Persons disrupting the educational environment of the Lab will be asked to leave.
- No uncovered beverages are allowed in the lab.
- No food is allowed in the lab.
- Computers and printers are for academic purposes only.
- Turn off cell phone ringers and take your cell phone conversations outside the lab.
- Group study is welcomed and encouraged (please keep noise level down).