M. Alejandra Sorto, Ph.D.
Office: MCS 575
Mathematics and Statistics Education
M. Alejandra Sorto received her Ph.D. from Michigan State University in 2004 in Mathematics Education. She is currently a faculty member of the Mathematics Department at Texas State University. Her research focuses on the preparation of teachers in the area of Statistics, the impact of professional development, and comparative studies in Latin-America and Africa. In particular, she is interested in developing instruments to measure content knowledge for teaching, teaching quality and analyzing its effect on student achievement. She has worked with governments of Chile, Peru, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Guatemala to help improve the preparation of teachers in mathematics and develop educational standards. The National Science Foundation (NSF) recently awarded her a CAREER research grant to investigate the Mathematics instruction of English language learners in the state of Texas.
- Marshall, J. H., & Sorto, M. A. (Forthcoming). Promising models to improve primary mathematics learning in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) using technology. In E. Arias Ortiz, J. Cristia, & S. Cueto (Eds.), What are the main challenges for mathematics learning in LAC? Washington, DC: Inter-American Development Bank.
- Sorto, M. A., & Bower, R. S. G. (2017). Quality of instruction in linguistically diverse classrooms: It matters! In A. Fernandes, S. Crespo, & M. Civil (Eds.), Access and Equity: Promoting high quality mathematics in grades 6-8 (pp. 27 – 40). Reston, VA: NCTM. ISBN 978-0-87353-978-4.
- McBroom, E. S., Jiang, Z., Sorto, M. A., White, A., & Dickey, E. (2016). Dynamic Approach to Teaching Geometry: A Study of Teachers’ TPACK Development. In M. Niess, S. Driskell, & K. Hollebrands (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Transforming Teacher Education in the Digital Age (pp. 519 – 550). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. ISBN 978-1-52250-120-6.
- Cueto, S., León, J., Sorto, M. A., & Miranda, A. (2016). Teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge and mathematics achievement of students in Peru. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 94(3), 329 – 245. doi: 10.1007/s10649-016-9735-2. Online: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10649-016-9735-2
- Sorto, M. A., Bower, R. S. G., & Salazar, T. L. (2016). Effects of teacher knowledge and quality of instruction on linguistically diverse learners. In M. B. Wood, E. E. Turner, M. Civil, & J. A. Eli (Eds.), Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference of the North American Meeting of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp. 1376 – 1379). Tucson, AZ: University of Arizona.
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Sorto, M. A., Pierce, R. L., Lesser, L. M., & Murphy, T. J. (2015). http://ww2.amstat.org/publications/jse/v23n1/harrell-williams.pdf
- Eddy, C. M., Quebec Fuentes, S., Ward, E. K., Parker, Y. A., Cooper, S., Jasper, B., Mallam, W., Sorto, M. A., & Wilkerson, T. (2015). Unifying the algebra for all movement. Journal of Advanced Academics, 26(1), 59 – 92. doi: 10.1177/1932202X14562393
- Jiang, Z., White, A., Sorto, M. A., Dickey, E., McBroom, E. S., & Rosenwasser, A. (2015). A dynamic-centered professional development program and its impact. In T. G. Bartell, K. N. Bieda, R. T. Putnam, K. Bradfield, & H. Dominguez (Eds.), Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the North American Meeting of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp. 1202 – 1209). East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University.
- Sorto, M. A., Bower, R. S., National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Annual Conference Multilingual Sessions. “Las Matemáticas en Nuestras Aulas: Bilingual Strategies in Secondary Classrooms,” San Antonio, TX, United States. (April 6, 2017).
- Sorto, M. A., Weber, B., Rasche, A., National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Annual Conference, “Effective Teaching Practices in Linguistically Diverse Classrooms,” San Antonio, TX, United States. (April 8, 2017).
- Sorto, M. A., Wilson, A. T., White, A. Teacher Knowledge and teaching practices in linguistically diverse classrooms. Paper presented at the 13th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME). Hamburg, Germany. (July 24, 2016).
- White, A., Jiang, Z., & Sorto, M. A. The effect of dynamic geometry approach on geometry achievement and conjecture ability. Paper presented at the 13th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME). Hamburg, Germany. (July 24, 2016).
- Sorto, M. A., Remillard, J., Shaughnessy, M., Candela, A. G. Workshop on Supporting Mathematics Teachers and Teaching in the United States and Finland, "Preparing new teachers to break down barriers and cross boundaries in mathematics classrooms," Board on International Scientific Organizations Policy and Global Affairs Division, Helsinki, Finland. (August 1, 2016).
- Sorto, M. A. (Plenary Address). The Impact of Teachers on Latinas and Latinos: From experiences to empirical research. North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics Leadership Seminar: Gates Wide Open in North Carolina: Mathematics for All. Greensboro, North Carolina, USA. (April 8, 2016).
- White, A., Sorto, M. A., International Association for Statistical Education (IASE) 2015 Satellite Conference, "Visualizando el significado del análisis de regresión lineal y multivariado[Visualizing the meaning of lineal and multivariate regression analysis.]," Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (July 22, 2015).