CAREER: Mathematics Instruction for English Language Learners
An opportunity for mathematics teachers of ELL/LEP students
Are you interested in...
- Earning a total of $800?
- Furthering your mathematics knowledge to effectively teach ELLs?
- Contributing to educational research by sharing your classroom experiences of working with ELLs?
If so, you may be interested in participating in a NSF-funded research project led by Texas State University faculty and doctoral students. The project is designed to find out what factors contribute to achievement gains for English Language Learners in Mathematics.
As part of the research project, you will be committing to the following:
• Attending ONE of the following two-day Bilingual Mathematics Institutes in Brownsville, Texas.
- Summer 2013 - July 18th and 19th
- Fall 2013 - dates to be announced
- Spring 2014 - dates to be announced
• Being observed three times during the academic year 2013-2014. Classroom practices will be captured via video.
• Sharing classroom experiences and learning, in an online environment, about teaching strategies for ELLs.
As remuneration for your participation, you will receive the following:
• A stipend of $800 upon completion of the research project tasks.
• Professional Development hours for your continuing education (approximately 32 hours).
ELL mathematics teachers
We are looking for 40 middle grade teachers that teach mathematics to ELLs. If you are interested, please fill out this brief form.
If you have further questions about participation please contact:
Dr. M. Alejandra Sorto
Texas State University